Free state health insurance to pay for abortion (Medicaid)
Washington has a state health insurance program (called Medicaid, or Washington Apple Health) that pays for most health care services, including abortion. Depending on your income, you could qualify for this free health coverage. Undocumented immigrants living in Washington can qualify.
Who is eligible for Medicaid (Washington Apple Health)
- Pregnant individuals with income at or below 193% Federal Poverty Level (FPL) without regard to immigration/citizenship status
- Pregnant individuals with non-Medicaid health insurance plans – such as insurance through their employer – are still eligible for Apple Health as secondary coverage if they meet the income requirements (at or below 193% FPL)
- Non-pregnant adults and children within certain income limits
- Minors in need of confidential services
For Apple Health eligibility purposes, a client who moves to Washington and plans to stay is considered a Washington resident and can immediately apply for Apple Health, even on the first day they arrive.
Apple Health clients are eligible for After Pregnancy Coverage (APC) for 12 months after a pregnancy ends. That includes pregnancies ending in abortion, and it applies to all clients without regard to immigration/citizenship status.
Who does not qualify for Medicaid (Washington Apple Health)
- People whose income is too high to qualify
How to apply
You can apply for Washington Apple Health through Washington Healthplanfinder, at wahealthplanfinder.org. It should take about 45 minutes to apply online — and you’ll get a response right away.
If you are a teen (under age 19) and you want your pregnancy-related services to be kept confidential, you may apply for coverage through a paper application process. You may also call the WithinReach Family Health Hotline at 1-800-322-2588 for help with the confidential application process.
Other options for abortion funding
Contact your abortion clinic to see if help is available through the clinic.
Or check our resources on obtaining a medication abortion without having to go to a clinic. Find our more about our Medication Abortion by Mail partnerships.
Northwest Abortion Access Fund
For financial help from NWAAF, please call our helpline at 1-866-NWAAF10 (1-866-692-2310) or fill out our online form. If your appointment is in the next 36 hours, please opt to call the helpline.
Funding is limited, and we cannot guarantee help to every caller. Vouchers are sent directly to the abortion clinic.
When you call our helpline, please be prepared to leave a message with:
- Your name and how to spell it
- Phone number, including area code
- How far along you are in the pregnancy
- The date and location of your abortion appointment
- The best time to call you back
Our trained volunteer advocates will follow up within 48 hours.
Traveling and need help with lodging and/or rides?
If you're traveling for abortion care, and need help with lodging and/or transportation, the Abortion Access Network may be able to help. To learn more, contact NWAAF at 1-866-NWAAF10 and choose option 3 from the menu or fill out our online form.
Need emotional support during a pregnancy?
Full Spectrum Doulas provides compassionate in-person and phone support during your experience with abortion, regardless of your ability to pay.
Some people ask for an abortion doula because they want someone who will:
- Give one-on-one support during certain parts of the abortion or throughout the entire experience
- Offer emotional support and help process the experience
- Help with physical relaxation and stress relief techniques
- Be there for aftercare
- Provide spiritual and religious support
- Give nutritional and herbal remedy information
- Advocate for their unique experience with medical staff
- Help partners/family/friends/support people with the experience
- Refer to other support services, including medical, mental health, social and cultural services
If you're interested in doula care during a pregnancy, contact NWAAF at 1-866-NWAAF10 option 3. Leave a message with your contact information or fill out our online form and we will return your call within 24 hours.
Abortion law in Washington
- Washington has a state health insurance program (called Medicaid, or Washington Apple Health) that pays for most health care services, including abortion.
- There are no laws restricting abortion access (such as parental consent, informed consent, or waiting periods) in Washington.
- There are no laws in Washington that limit how late in the pregnancy abortions can be performed.