Free state health insurance to pay for abortion (Medicaid)
Washington has a state health insurance program (called Medicaid, or Washington Apple Health) that pays for most health care services, including abortion. Depending on your income, you could qualify for this free health coverage. Undocumented immigrants living in Washington can qualify. Some abortion clinics may not accept Medicaid for abortions beyond 24 weeks of pregnancy.
Who can qualify for Medicaid (Washington Apple Health)
- People within certain income limits
- Minors who are able to get help from parents or guardians to apply
- U.S. citizens
- Legal permanent residents of at least five years
- Undocumented immigrants
Who does not qualify for Medicaid (Washington Apple Health)
- People with other health insurance plans
- People whose income is too high to qualify
- Legal permanent residents of fewer than five years
How to apply
You can apply for Washington Apple Health through Washington Healthplanfinder, at wahealthplanfinder.org. It should take about 45 minutes to apply online — and you’ll get a response right away.
Other options for abortion funding
Contact your abortion clinic to see if help is available through the clinic.
Northwest Abortion Access Fund
For financial help from NWAAF, please call our hotline at 1-866-NWAAF10 (1-866-692-2310).
Funding is limited, and we cannot guarantee help to every caller. Vouchers are sent directly to the abortion clinic.
When you call our hotline, please be prepared to leave a message with:
- Your name and how to spell it
- Phone number, including area code
- How far along you are in the pregnancy
- The date and location of your abortion appointment
- The best time to call you back
Our trained volunteer advocates will return your call within 48 hours, Monday – Friday.
Traveling and need help with lodging and/or rides?
If you're traveling for abortion care, and need help with lodging and/or transportation, the Abortion Access Network may be able to help. To learn more, contact NWAAF at 1-866-NWAAF10 and choose option 3 from the menu.
Need emotional support during a pregnancy?
Full Spectrum Doulas provides compassionate in-person and phone support during your experience with abortion, regardless of your ability to pay.
Some people ask for an abortion doula because they want someone who will:
- Give one-on-one support during certain parts of the abortion or throughout the entire experience
- Offer emotional support and help process the experience
- Help with physical relaxation and stress relief techniques
- Be there for aftercare
- Provide spiritual and religious support
- Give nutritional and herbal remedy information
- Advocate for their unique experience with medical staff
- Help partners/family/friends/support people with the experience
- Refer to other support services, including medical, mental health, social and cultural services
If you're interested in doula care during a pregnancy, contact NWAAF at 1-866-NWAAF10 option 3. Leave a message with your contact information and we will return your call within 24 hours.