Who we are
The Northwest Abortion Access Fund is an abortion fund serving Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Alaska. Trained, compassionate volunteer advocates run our toll-free hotline. We help people pay for their abortion care by sending funding directly to the clinic. We also help people get to and from the clinic. And we make sure people traveling for care have a safe place to stay.
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit and a member of the National Network of Abortion Funds (NNAF), a membership organization of over 70 funds across the United States.
To fund abortion and break down barriers to abortion access for people in the Northwest.
We envision a world where people can easily access safe, legal abortion care with respect, dignity, and compassion.
- Trust & respect. We believe the people we serve are experts on their own lives. We treat people with unconditional respect, dignity, and compassion, and honor the decisions they make about their bodies, lives, and families.
- Autonomy. We believe all people deserve the freedom to decide what to do with their own bodies, and that no one should have to carry a pregnancy to term against their will.
- Intersectionality. We recognize that different forms of discrimination can interact and overlap, combining to create even more harm—a concept coined by Kimberlé Crenshaw. We recognize that inequitable access to healthcare, including abortion care, is tied to overlapping forms of oppression including sexism, racism, ableism, classism, homophobia, and transphobia.
- Reproductive justice. We believe all people have the human right to maintain personal bodily autonomy, have children, not have children, and parent the children they have in safe and sustainable communities—this is reproductive justice, developed by Black women and defined by SisterSong. Reproductive justice demands that we work at the intersections of racial, economic, and gender justice. We strive to use a reproductive justice lens in all decisions.
- Racial justice. We recognize that systemic racism, through decades of policies and practices that continue to this day, has benefited white people and harmed people of color. We understand systemic racism is a root cause of the persistent economic, political, social, and health disparities facing communities of color. We stand in solidarity with Black Lives Matter and other organizations working for justice, respect, and dignity for communities of color. We commit to the ongoing work it takes to be an anti-racist organization.
- Culture shift. We know abortion is health care. We know having an abortion or more than one abortion is normal, valid, and okay. We strive to center people who’ve had abortions, because those are the voices that matter. We seek to strike down stigma and shift culture so abortion is seen as ordinary, a medical procedure like any other health care, a human right.